Yarralumla Woolshed

T7 Yarralumla Woolshed exterior

T7 Yarralumla Woolshed interior

How to get there

From Woden Cemetery turn left on to Yamba Drive and continue through the roundabout on Yarra Glen. Turn left on to Carruthers Street, taking the third exit on to McCulloch Street at the roundabout. Turn left on to Cotter Road and take the first right turn and follow signs.

From the Canberra and Region Visitors Centre continue south on Commonwealth Avenue. Continue on Capital Circuit, keeping right follow signs for Adelaide Avenue. Using the left lane take the Cotter Road slip road. Continue for 2km, then take a right hand turn and follow signs.

Why is this interesting

Yarralumla Woolshed and its old timber floors have stood the test of time, witnessing Canberra’s growth from pasture town to bustling city.

In 1902, good rainfalls broke a severe drought of several years’ duration. This led to greater prosperity for local property owners allowing them to construct new farm buildings. The Yarralumla Woolshed was one of these.

Frederick Campbell constructed the Yarralumla Woolshed in 1904. The Federal Government resumed this historic property in 1913 and the nearby Yarralumla homestead has served as the residence of the Governor-General.

During WWI the woolshed was used to store building materials for the construction of Canberra’s main sewer and other public works, and later partitioned with galvanised iron to form sleeping areas for labourers on various building sites in the new city.

In 1917 local farmers asked that the shed be used again for shearing. Initially leased to shearing contractors the McInnes brothers, several local families formed Yarralumla Pty Ltd and leased the woolshed. Shearing ceased in November 1964.

Since the 1970s, the building has become an important Canberra community social venue, particularly as a focus for bush dances and folk music activities. Various organisations, including the Monaro Folk Society, continue to use it as a venue for dances.