Evatt unmarked Cemetery
The former church here was linked to St John's church in Reid. Both churches took on the role of schoolhouse as well, although St Paul's Ginninderra had a shorter life span. Old plaques on the site list names of those believed to be buried here.
How to get there?
From Rosebud Cottage continue north-west along Skinner Street. Turn left into Atkinson Street, left into Templeton Street and left again into Redfern. Turn right into Coulter Drive and drive the 4 km to the end. Turn right into Copland Drive and take the second right into Moyhnihan Street.
From the Visitors Centre drive under Commonwealth Bridge and return north. In 500m take the first exit to Parkes Way west for about 3km then veer right onto William Hovell Drive (West Belconnen). Turn right into Coulter Drive. After 5.8 km turn left onto Ginninderra Drive and take the first right into Copland Drive. the burial ground is at the second turn to your right.
Why is this interesting?
St Paul’s Church of England was opened in 1861 and serviced the rural community for 40 years. The Evatt Cemetery dates from at least 1872 and includes about 18 burials.
This cemetery site remains today as ‘urban open area’ surrounded by suburbs. It’s inclusion on the track is to highlight the pastoral history of this Belconnen area.