Evatt unmarked Cemetery
This land is an early burial ground, with the plaque below listing those buried here. The image below right shows the Weetangera Methodist Cemetery on the western side of William Hovell Drive at Holt (about 500 metres south of the Drake Brockman Drive intersection). Thomas Southwell introduced Methodism to the region in 1846. A stone cairn marks where the church was once located. The 44 burials recorded at Weetangera reflect the close knit Southwell clan, with 21 of the burials made up of Southwell family members.
How to get there
From Woden Cemetery, turn left at Yamba Drive and continue north at the large roundabout onto Yarra Glen. Take the ramp to Carruthers Street, turning left into the suburb of Curtin. Turn right onto McCulloch Street at the roundabout. At the end of this street, turn left onto the Cotter Road. Turn right onto the ramp to Tuggeranong Parkway and after about 4 km on the parkway veer left onto William Hovell Drive. Turn right into Coulter Drive. After 5.8 km turn left onto Ginninderra Drive and take the first right into Copland Drive.
From the Canberra and Region Visitors Centre drive under Commonwealth Bridge and return north. In 500m take the first exit to Parkes Way west for about 3km then veer right onto William Hovell Drive (West Belconnen). Turn right into Coulter Drive. After 5.8 km turn left onto Ginninderra Drive and take the first right into Copland Drive. the burial ground is at the second turn to your right.
Why is this interesting?
St Paul’s Church of England was opened in 1861 and serviced the rural community for 40 years. The Evatt Cemetery dates from at least 1872 and includes about 18 burials.
This cemetery site remains today as ‘urban open area’ surrounded by suburbs. Its inclusion on the track is to highlight the pastoral history of this Belconnen area.